Focusing on Features…
This is another oil painting on canvas paper. After painting Raule I wanted to work on facial features a bit more and try a few things differently.
I found Pink Lady in my iStock photos, a portrait of a girl with pink hair. I loved the essence of the image and really wanted to try her eyes.
Here is a picture of the wash and sketch of her.
I started once again with a linseed oil wash mixed with White and Scarlet. My oil paints don’t come in CMYK and I found it challenging to find and mix the appropriate colours, but I did my best.
I then etched in an outline of her features with burnt sienna and painted in her hair with a more opaque pink wash.
Below is the progression of the different stages she went through.
Sorry some of the photos are so yellow, I took the pictures at different times of the day and my light was on for some of them.
At the end I did try the gloss of linseed oil again, but only on her eyes to give them a wet look. But once again, the oil kept bleeding and I had to keep doing touch ups which compromised the colouring a bit. In the future I will try blending the linseed with paint to hopefully prevent bleeding.
Leave a Comment